The Romanian Athenaeum - one of the most beautiful art-building situated in South - Eastern Europe




I love this place, the Romanian Athenaeum! It is situated in the centre of Bucharest, on Calea Victoriei (one of the most important highways of the Romanian Capital),  more precisely, in the George Enescu's Square. I go often here as the building hosts the 'George Enescu' Philharmonic and I am addicted to this heavenly music as the symphony is.


Imagine that I  have listened to Symphony no. 6 in B minor, ob. 74, 'Pathetique' by Tchaikovski, last Friday, in the best acoustic building from S-E of Europe! The concert was marvellous!



When I listen to a symphony, my mind is flying. I can think about the past, I can plan the future, I can recall old memories - beautiful moments from my life, I can create, I can relax and calm down, I can be totally me. I simply can not imagine my life without this kind of music. It is part of my soul.





And what can be more beautiful to listen to the symphony (can be Haydn, Rachmaninov, Verdi, Brahms, Chopin, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Enescu, or anything else as I love them all), in such an amazing architectural treasure like the Romanian Athenaeum is!



The building has a Neoclassic (the revival of the Greek and Roman style) as well as an eclectic style (the process of selecting the best of many styles and putting them together in a new creation) and was built as a need for a cultural society in Romania.  Back to 1865, three scientific personalities (Constantin EsarcuV. A. Urechia, and Nicolae CreÅ£ulescufounded 'The Romanian  Athenaeum Cultural Society', for the purpose of developing and promoting art and science in Romania.




The boyar Vacarescu offered the land for the construction of the Athenaeum;  the place was situated at the edge of the city and because of that, very highly criticized;  being far away from the city centre (of  Bucharest in 1865), people could scarcely attend to its events, especially during winter when transport was almost inexistent. In the meantime, the area became the heart of the city (here the Romanian Revolution in '89 took place, here we have the Hilton Hotel, here we have the Romanian Ministries, Art museums and other cultural spots).

Me and Silvia inside the Athenaeum

                                                      A beautiful view from the outside

Well,  from the outside, the Romanian Athenaeum looks like a temple (similar to the Erechteion from the Acropolis, people say). Inside there is painted or encrypted or graved the entire Romanian history,  from its inception (when the Romans conquered Dacia) to the ending of the monarchy (around 1947), mentioning all sciences (known by that time) as well as the big scientific and cultural Romanian personalities. You can't feel more of a Romanian fragrance than inside the Romanian Athenaeum!

Here I have met this little,  very fancy Victoria (I simply love her red heat and dress)


This is the mood when I am here: happy soul, happy face


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing the information. This really helps me to get the information for my project point of view.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hakkari, Turkey

Bitola. It's all about history here

The Summer University of Ramnicu Sarat on the Communism Crimes